Fill out this short contact form below and one of our representatives will get back to you as soon as possible!
Winters in New Jersey are cold, of course. Although the weather can range from a sunny, clear day, like a few we’ve enjoyed lately, to blistering winds and heavy snow storms, you need to be prepared for anything mother nature throws at you. One way to stay prepared is through proper furnace maintenance.
Because the furnace is one of the most important systems in your home, you need to keep it running properly so it can deliver maximum heat output and keep your family warm and comfortable all winter long. Here are a few DIY maintenance tips and tasks best left the professional furnace maintenance technicians at Lawes.
The best thing you can do is be proactive. Schedule an annual furnace maintenance check and a monthly air filter check in your calendar for a reminder. Although annual maintenance is best done before the heating season, it’s never too late to start.
· Inspect your furnace visually. Look at the venting pipe; it should be fastened securely.
· Smell the system. If you suspect the scent of rotten eggs, you could be dealing with a gas leak which means it’s time to call in the processionals (see below).
· Shut off the power and inspect thermostat wires to ensure they’re properly fitted and secure.
· Dust inner components of the furnace with a soft paint brush to loosen debris and then remove those particles with a vacuum hose.
· For best performance, washable filters should be cleaned twice a month and changed out every three to six months depending on how much it’s used. A clean filter will not only provide cleaner air, but it can also save you money on energy bills - as much as 15% says the U.S. Department of Energy.
Regular furnace maintenance throughout winter is essential for the comfort and safety for your home. Schedule a furnace (as well as a cooling) inspection annually to prolong the life of your unit and save on energy bills. It’s best to do this in the off-season, but as we mentioned above, better late than never.
Like your car, a professionally maintained furnace will run most efficiently without wasting energy or risking harmful emissions. But many furnace maintenance tasks are difficult (and dangerous) to DIY. Hire a professional to thoroughly inspect your furnace and ensure it’s ready to heat your home when you need it most.
Since 1926, Lawes Heating and Cooling Company has been keeping families in New Jersey comfortable all year round. Our certified oil and gas burner technicians and air conditioning technicians are available 24-hours a day, 365 days a year; we extend service and repairs on all brands and models of residential oil or gas-fired heating equipment including furnaces, boilers, hot water heaters, and indirect hot water heaters.A furnace, left unmaintained, can suddenly stop working at any time…leaving you and your family in the cold. Protect your family today, view our service plans and contact us today at (732)741-6302 to set up an appointment.