Keeping your home airtight with home air sealing is crucial for lowering energy expenses and enhancing indoor air quality. When there are leaks in your home’s air barrier, conditioned air can escape. This causes your HVAC system to work harder and consume more energy. By sealing these air leaks, you can significantly reduce your energy bills and prolong the lifespan of your HVAC systems.
Effective air sealing serves as a barrier against external air pollutants, allergens, and pests. This safeguards your home’s indoor air quality and promotes overall well-being. Protecting your home’s thermal barrier is a wise strategy to save money and cultivate a healthier and more comfortable living environment.
The Importance Of Home Air Sealing Your Home On Energy Costs
In this guide, we’ll discuss the significance of air sealing your home. We’ll also explore its various associated factors. By the end, you will clearly understand why air sealing is essential and how it can benefit you.
Related Article: Energy Audit Tips for Your Home
What is Air Sealing?
Air sealing involves the process of closing gaps, cracks, and other openings within a home’s building envelope to eliminate air leakage. The building envelope encompasses the walls, ceilings, floors, windows, doors, and other areas where outside air can infiltrate a home.
The purpose of air sealing is to enhance the energy efficiency of a home by minimizing the escape of conditioned air to the outside. It plays a crucial role in improving indoor air quality by preventing the entry of pollutants and allergens.
Several common areas require air sealing, including around windows and doors, foundation and rim joists, electrical outlets and switches, and attic and crawl space.
To accomplish air sealing, various materials can be utilized, such as caulk, weatherstripping, foam sealant, and tape. To identify areas needing air sealing and determine the most suitable materials and methods, consult a professional energy auditor or contractor.
Related Article: Check For Air Leaks Now Before The Hot Weather Arrives
Advantages of Air Sealing Your Home
Air sealing provides numerous benefits, including:
- Enhanced energy efficiency: Air sealing is crucial in minimizing the escape of conditioned air from your home. This reduces the workload on your heating and cooling systems, resulting in lower energy consumption and decreased energy bills.
- Improved indoor comfort: By sealing air leaks, air sealing helps maintain a consistent indoor temperature throughout your home, reducing drafts and eliminating cold spots. This creates a more comfortable living environment for you and your family.
- Superior indoor air quality: Air sealing acts as a barrier, preventing pollutants, allergens, and other harmful particles from entering your home. This helps improve indoor air quality, promoting a healthier environment for everyone.
- Reduced noise pollution: Besides improving energy efficiency and air quality, air sealing also reduces noise pollution. It effectively blocks outside noise from infiltrating your home, creating a quieter and more peaceful living space.
- Increased durability: By sealing air leaks, air sealing helps prevent moisture buildup within your home. It helps avert issues like mold growth and structural damage over time, ultimately increasing the durability and longevity of your property.
Related Article: Best Ways To Lower Those Summer Energy Bills
Most Common Places In Your Home That May Require Air Sealing
To identify areas of air leakage in a home and determine the most effective air sealing methods, engage the services of a professional energy auditor or contractor. They can conduct a blower door test, which assesses the extent of air leakage in the home.
Common areas in a home that often require air sealing include:
- Windows and doors: Gaps around your doors and windows can result in air infiltration or loss, leading to energy inefficiency and drafts.
- Attic and roof: Cracks, gaps, and holes in the attic or roof can allow air to seep in or escape, causing energy loss and potential moisture issues.
- Electrical outlets and switches: Gaps around electrical outlets and switches can create openings for air to enter or exit, impacting energy efficiency.
- Baseboards and crown molding: Gaps between baseboards, crown molding, and walls can allow air movement, leading to energy loss and drafts.
- Ductwork: Leaky ductwork can cause the conditioned air to leak out, reducing the effectiveness of heating and cooling systems.
- Plumbing and wiring penetrations: Gaps around plumbing and wiring penetrations can allow air infiltration or loss, affecting energy efficiency.
- Chimney and fireplace: Gaps in the flue or fireplace can enable air to enter or escape, resulting in energy loss and drafts.
Related Article: 10 Reasons Why Your AC Unit Isn’t Blowing Cool Air
How To Find Air Leaks In Your Home
Discovering air leaks in your home is instrumental in enhancing energy efficiency and reducing heating and cooling expenses. Here are some helpful tips for identifying air leaks:
- Check doors and windows: Inspect doors and windows for any gaps or cracks. An easy method is to hold a candle or lighter near the edges of these openings and observe if the flame flickers. A flickering flame indicates the presence of a draft and potential air leakage.
- Examine outlets and switches: Hold a candle or lighter near outlets and switches located on exterior walls. If the flame wavers, it suggests air leakage around these fixtures.
- Inspect the attic and basement: Inspect the attic and basement areas for air leaks. Pay close attention to spots where pipes or vents penetrate the walls or ceiling, as these are common areas for air infiltration.
- Check ducts and vents: Arrange for an inspection of your ductwork to detect any leaks, holes, or disconnected joints. Make sure the HVAC contractor inspects the vents for gaps or cracks around their edges.
- Use a smoke pencil: A smoke pencil can be valuable in locating air leaks. It emits a small amount of smoke that becomes easily visible in areas with drafts, indicating potential air leakage points.
- Consider a blower door test: A blower door test is a comprehensive method for identifying the exact location and size of air leaks in your home. This test involves using a specialized fan to depressurize your house and then measuring the amount of air that enters through leaks, providing precise information for targeted air sealing efforts.
- Hire a professional: Hiring the services of a professional energy auditor is highly recommended, especially if you suspect significant air leakage issues or desire a comprehensive assessment of your home’s energy efficiency. These experts possess specialized equipment and knowledge to identify air leaks accurately and provide recommendations for improving energy efficiency.
Related Article: Tips on How to Protect Your HVAC Warranty
Proper air sealing your home helps reduce energy costs and enhance indoor air quality. Always use the services of an HVAC professional to carry out the air sealing process. Professionals possess the expertise and specialized equipment to effectively and efficiently complete the task. By opting for a professional, you can relax and rest easy knowing that the work will be done accurately from the start, allowing you to reap the benefits of a safe, comfortable, and energy-efficient home. While there may be expenses associated with hiring a professional, the long-term savings on energy bills and the improved health and well-being of your household make it a worthwhile investment.
Related Article: How Can UV Lights Improve Your HVAC System?
Call Lawes Company For All Of Your HVAC Requirements
Lawes Company is the premier heating and cooling service provider within the Jersey Shore region. Our team of certified technicians is highly-trained, skilled, and experienced in various HVAC services, including tune-ups, installations, repairs, replacements, and more. You can trust Lawes Company to handle your system with utmost care and proficiency.
As the most reputable HVAC service provider in New Jersey, we offer cost-effective solutions for heating and cooling needs. Our name is synonymous with exceptional service, affordability, and superior quality. Our maintenance and repair services enhance home comfort and energy efficiency and help reduce HVAC costs in the long run. We understand the importance of working within your specific budget, and our team is dedicated to recommending the best HVAC solution tailored to your specific requirements. Your satisfaction is our utmost priority, so we guarantee the quality of our work.
Contact Lawes Company today to schedule a service appointment and experience our exceptional service firsthand. Don’t hesitate to call us now!