Heating and cooling systems have thermostats to let you know of the ambient temperature reading in your home. It is a vital part of all kinds of HVAC units. Most HVAC experts recommend installing a programmable thermostat as it provides your home with many conveniences and advantages. However, many homeowners question “How does a programmable thermostat work?”.
This article will discuss what a programmable thermostat is. It will also include other useful information about this device.
What Is A Programmable Thermostat?
- 1 What Is A Programmable Thermostat?
- 2 Call Lawes Company For All Of Your HVAC Requirement
A thermostat is an HVAC system component used to gauge and control your indoor temperature. It can be used to command specific actions on your heating and cooling system, including an air conditioner or a furnace. The thermostat allows you to turn the system on and off. It also lets you regulate the indoor temperature. This way, your home reaches and maintains the set temperature.
Manual Vs. Programmable Thermostats
The main difference between a manual and a programmable thermostat is that the latter can automatically adjust the temperature. You can input specific settings on the programmable thermostat, which are then programmed into the system for it to follow even when you are not there. For instance, the temperature can be set low or high at different times of the day, depending on your preference.
Most modern thermostats are digital. However, you can still find non-digital ones in older homes and businesses. Digital ones are equipped with a thermistor, which is the component used for temperature measurement. This component has metals that change per the ambient temperature. It also allows changes with the temperature electrical resistance.
Your thermostat also has a microcontroller. This vital component measures the electrical resistance and converts it to a temperature reading. This process is how digital thermostats gauge your indoor temperature.
It also comes with a feature that allows you to input when the temperature becomes higher or lower at specific times of the day. For instance, you can program the thermostat to increase the temperature before leaving the house in the morning. The thermostat can lower the temperature while you are out of your house and turn it up when you return home. A programmable thermostat allows you to regulate the temperature daily, depending on your home’s temperature fluctuations.
If you have heating or cooling zones, programmable thermostats can also be a useful tool. Zoning means that various areas in your home can have different temperature settings. This is the ideal setup if you have a multi-story home. The lower floors are typically cooler than the upper floors. This can be resolved when programmable thermostats are installed in each zone. This way, you can control the temperature in each zone, and enjoy constant and consistent temperatures throughout.
Benefits of A Programmable Thermostat
Some of the pros of having a programmable thermostat include:
- Automatic Temperature Adjustment: You do not need to keep adjusting the temperature in your thermostat because it can be set to do so automatically at different times of the day. This way, it is more convenient as you do not have to go to your thermostat when you need to change the temperature.
- Increased Comfort: Temperatures are adjusted automatically. This allows rooms or zones in your house to always be at your desired temperatures throughout the day. Hence, you maintain the comfort your home requires.
- Improved Temperature Control: If you have a home with several stories, a programmable thermostat allows you to control the temperature more effectively. Areas can be heated or cooled depending on the occupants’ preference. You can even turn off the cooling or heating in unoccupied rooms.
- Avoid Straining Your Older HVAC System: If you have an old system, a programmable thermostat helps keep your system from straining. It allows you to reduce wear and tear and can also help extend your unit’s lifespan.
- Cost-Saving: A programmable thermostat helps you to be more energy-efficient. It allows you to change the temperature in your home to fit your daily schedule. This way, your system doesn’t run on full power all day. Your system can be turned off, or the temperature can be lowered, depending on if someone is at home or not.
What If I Don’t Want To Use The Automatic Temperature Setting?
Programmable thermostats also come with a feature that lets you operate them manually. This way, the automatic function is disabled, and you can control the system yourself. It would help if you considered remote control and monitoring to make using your thermostat more convenient. This allows you to manually set any changes you want with your thermostat without going near it. You can even control it even if you are not at home. Newer thermostat models have WiFi capabilities that allow you to control it via your laptop or smartphone. This will enable you to set up your furnace or AC even when you are working or on vacation.
Do You Need A Programmable Thermostat?
A programmable thermostat is recommended for homeowners who have a regular schedule. It is suitable for people who want to be able to control their home temperatures automatically. You can have your thermostat cool down or heat your home at specific periods of the day. The setting can also be in effect for a long time. If you want to have an effective and efficient way to control your home temperature without too much thermostat manipulation, a programmable thermostat might be what you are looking for.
A programmable thermostat gives you increased comfort and energy efficiency, better temperature control, and is highly convenient. It is suitable for homes and other spaces that have occupants who have specific temperature preferences. Contact your local HVAC technician to know about the programmable thermostat options available for you. They can help you find the best features for your heating and cooling needs.
Call Lawes Company For All Of Your HVAC Requirement
Lawes Company provides HVAC services in Monmouth and Ocean Counties, New Jersey. Do you need superior HVAC maintenance, installations, replacements, and repairs? No worries. You are in good hands with Lawes Company. All our friendly techs are skilled, knowledgeable, and experienced to conduct correct and prompt heating and cooling services at all times.
Our company has the most competitive rates in the area. Our tune-up services can improve your energy-efficiency, indoor air quality, and home comfort. We can also assist you in finding the best replacement system that is within your budget. Your satisfaction is our top priority, so all our works come with a guarantee. Book a service appointment with Lawes Company today. We provide free, no-obligation, in-home estimates.