Are you having problems with your furnace not turning on? When the cool fall air and winter weather arrives, this is one question we hear a lot. Whether you’re in a commercial or residential setting, the same basic problems can plague furnaces. But by knowing some of the most common problems that can arise, you can take the proper proactive steps to prevent them.
Below, we have listed out some of the top common reasons your furnace won’t start:
10 Reasons Your Furnace is Not Turning On
- Lack of maintenance: Every year, at the beginning of fall, it’s important to schedule annual furnace maintenance and tune-ups to prevent unexpected problems and breakdowns during the cold New Jersey winters. These routine inspections will also help your HVAC run much more efficiently and reliably.
- Dirty filters: A dirty or clogged air filter can reduce airflow, making your furnace work harder to circulate air. In many cases, a clogged filter may cause your unit to overheat which can make it stop working.
- Wear and tear: Like most machines, normal wear and tear is normal – regardless of its age. But with a furnace, it can cause airflow problems, heat control glitches or even overheating. Regular maintenance and inspections can help to prevent small problems from becoming bigger (more expensive) problems.
- Problems with the pilot control: A faulty ignition or pilot light could result in an unheated home or commercial space. Check that the pilot light is lit, some common culprits could include: thermocouple problems, drafts or clogs in the appliance.
- Faulty thermostat: A malfunctioning thermostat can lead to problems with the fan or comfort levels. But before you call for service, make sure it’s set to “heat” rather than “fan” or “cool.”
- Furnace lacks heat: A furnace that doesn’t produce enough heat may have problems with the thermostat setting, power, gas or the pilot light. Additionally, the filter may be clogged or the unit may even be the wrong size for your space. If the latter is the case, do call the professionals at Lawes to inspect your situation.
- Cycling: Frequent cycling between “ON” and “OFF” modes may indicate a clogged filter, improper airflow or a faulty thermostat.
- Blower continuously runs: Blower issues may indicate a problem with the limit switch, which one of our professionals will need to inspect and possibly replace.
- Noisy furnace: A furnace that hums is normal. A furnace that rumbles, squeaks and rattles… isn’t normal. These sounds may indicate a mechanical problem, airflow reductions or a clogged burner.
- Furnace switch is “OFF”: Seriously, this is the simplest fix on the list. Go check the switch. It may have been turned off by mistake; make sure it’s in the “ON” position. Voila!
Professional Heating Service
If the above troubleshooting solutions don’t seem to remedy your furnace problem, you may be facing some more serious component issues that require a more in depth inspection. The Lawes Home Comfort Specialists are here for you 24 hours a day with knowledgeable technicians on call. We’ve been serving the Monmouth County, New Jersey, area since 1926 and you can feel confident knowing that we’ll do everything we can to get your system up and running in no time. As a family owned business, we know there’s nothing more important than the safety and comfort of your family.
Contact us now at 732-741-6300 to find out more about our maintenance plans and additional HVAC services!